A couple of days ago I did a blog swap with my new friend and an amazing Souper-Chef Debra from Bowl Me Over and shared Debra’s Super-Healthy Vegetable Orzo Soup recipe with you while Debra was so kind to share my recipe for these Healthy Chocolate Pumpkin Bars on her site. But just to make sure that you, my dear Readers, don’t miss a recipe from me, let me share this Healthy Chocolate Pumpkin Bars recipe with you here, on Beautiful Healthy Sweet. 🙂So, about that PUMKIN… If you’ve taken a glance at this Healthy Pumpkin Cookies post, you might remember that I was so busy telling you what I do with all that Halloween Candy that I didn’t really leave myself much room for praising the official VEGGIE OF THE SEASON: PUMPKIN! …And I promised you that in the nearest future I surely will! 🙂
Actually… It’s quite the opposite! It’s because… I love my Pumpkins and all kinds of Winter Squash so much that I always end up eating up the baked pumpkins BEFORE I actually get to use them in any of the recipes! 🙂And indeed, I don’t even know where to start when it comes to praising it! …Naturally sweet and super-flavorful, thick and buttery, BEAUTIFULLY orange and wonderfully soft! You can do SO many amazing fall treats with it! Or, just like me in most cases, you can just bake it and enjoy it as is! Yes! The only thing I usually add to my baked pumpkin before I indulge on it is just a little bit of salt!But… sometimes I finally end up using my pumpkin to make the only thing that I may want to devour more than the pumpkin itself:
A Pumpkin Dessert!
And today let that Super-Flavorful Fall Dessert be these Healthy Chocolate Pumpkin Bars! (Because I was feeling like having something Extra-Decadent lately! 🙂 )And let me tell you, these Healthy Chocolate Pumpkin Bars came out tasting just as good as they looked! …Dense and chewy, chocolaty and pumpkin-y, and definitely SUPER-addictive!…But thanks to all that pumpkin puree and the cocoa powder in them, these bars are at the same time Low Fat, Low Calorie (1 bar only lands 161 calories!) and full of healthy vitamins, minerals and antioxidants! I also made these bars refined sugar-free and used honey instead to make my bars even gooey-er and healthier!
So tell me, what’s your favorite Fall Treat? 🙂
Healthy Chocolate Pumpkin Bars
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 cups pure pumpkin puree
- 1 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut or avocado oil
- 4 egg whites
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 F. Line a large brownie pan with the parchment paper or oil it and dust it with some flour.
- In a large bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In another bowl mix the egg whites, oil, honey or maple syrup, vanilla extract and 1 ⅔ cup of pumpkin puree. Set the ⅓ pumpkin puree aside.
- Pour the wet mixture into the flour mixture and mix everything well until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Scoop ½ of the batter into another bowl. Add the cocoa powder and the ⅓ of the reserved pumpkin puree and mix everything thoroughly.
- Scoop the chocolate batter into the brownie pan. Dollop the pumpkin batter over the chocolate batter and swirl in with a knife.
- Bake for about 35 minutes. Check the bars for doneness with a toothpick and if they’re still sticky inside, bake for another 5 minutes.
- Cool the bars before taking them out of the pan and slicing them. And... Enjoy!
Happy Fall! 🙂