Hi, Dear Friend!
Are you ready to go all the way healthy this time?
And if you’re still here, then I’ll take it as a yes! 🙂
But you also know me, right? In my world healthy should NEVER mean boring, tasteless green goo! (I mean, I love my veggies! I eat LOADS of them each day. But since I’m more of a sweet kind of a blogger… I just wanted to make sure that you aren’t thinking that I’m going to tell you to drink some grass juice for dessert… Because as super-healthy as the grass juice gets… I wouldn’t exactly call it super-indulgent…)
And that dessert… It’d better be good-tasting and decadent! Right? 🙂
OK. So, what about that healthy-all-the-way treat that I’m about to offer you today?
- It’s SUGAR-FREE;
- It’s GLUTEN-FREE;
- And finally it’s high in healthy, lean PROTEIN!
- It’s millet. Yes, once again, my new favorite ingredient. The healthy, sweet-tasting, Mighty Millet!
- It’s the dates. Well, if you are a healthy-food enthusiast, you must be very familiar with all sorts of good things that the dates do for your desserts! Not only they add the sweetness to them, of course. They also make those desserts ooy-gooey, by building up their texture!
- It’s the egg whites.
And if you’ve been following me for a while 🙂 you probably know how much I LOVE using the egg whites in… almost everything! Beginning with the mousses (such as this Blueberry Mousse) and cakes, and ending with just indulging on them as my Dessert For Breakfast!
But because all the other ingredients in my cake are pasty and creamy, the egg whites didn’t make the cake taste bland or look rubbery… When you bite into this Fudge Cake, it’s really, REALLY… well… FUDGY! 🙂
…But at the same time all these egg whites provide a whole load of healthy protein that I believe we all need (especially if you never get to sit down during the day, as you’ve got to be cooking, cleaning, chasing your two growing boys and… well… coming up with the yummy and healthy recipes, like I do!)
Well, you know, to make it even fudge-ier 🙂 And of course this Hot Fudge Topping is also very healthy :). Once again, the Mighty Dates come to the rescue (For my Fudge Sauce I used an already prepared date syrup. The recipe for it you can find on Amy’s blog. I’ve tried it and I LOVED it!) as they add the texture AND the sweetness to the sugarless and (almost) fat-free (I’m saying “Almost” since there is a tiny bit of fat in the almond milk and in the cocoa powder… But, that amount of fat is…, well, REALLY tiny!)I SO hope that you’ll give it a try!
…And enjoy how decent a Healthy Hot Fudge Cake can turn out to be!!I also hope that you don’t mind getting a little bit messy with all that gooey Hog Fudge… Because at a certain point I gave up wiping the drips of it all around the place and just let the whole family have a messy-chocolaty blast!
- 2 tbsp* almond or light coconut milk
- 1/3 cup date syrup
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Set the dates and the almond milk in a saucepan over a medium heat. Bring it to the point when it starts to boil and turn the heat off. Alternatively you can soak the dates in the almond milk overnight.
- Add the date and milk mixture, nut butter, egg whites, cocoa powder, millet, vanilla extract and salt to a blender and blend until the mixture is very smooth.
- Pour the dough into a baking pan and bake for about 40 minutes.
- To make the topping heat up the milk with the date syrup in a saucepan. Add the cocoa powder. Stir very well, until the sauce is nice and silky.
- Pour the hot fudge sauce over the cake and... DIG IN...
*I used the cashew butter, since it has a very mild flavor compare to, say, peanut or almond butter, because I wanted my cake to taste purely chocolaty. If you're feeling the same as me about it, you can also try macadamia or brazil nut butter.
*I only used a couple of tbsp. of milk since I didn't want my fudge to be super-runny, since my date syrup came out kind of thin. But it's really up to you how pasty/runny you want your fudge sauce to be. If you end up with the pastier date syrup, you can always add a few more tbsp. of milk if you like 🙂