…Today’s recipe is for the Healthy Vanilla Yogurt Pudding Cake. 🙂 And I am just so excited about it because I’ve never made this cake before and it came out… GOOD! I just LOVED the way it tasted; its moist, pasty texture, it’s decadent look (along with its healthy content)! But first, a little story about… a yogurt overload that just happened in my kitchen (which this yummy cake successfully resolved!)
…I’ve already told you about a Banana Overload problem that strikes my kitchen every now and then. But… aside from the bananas and all sorts of fruit there are other good things that I sometimes buy one too many of and then… guess what? That healthy (and sometimes pricey) item isn’t getting used up as quickly as I hoped it’d be and ends up just sitting there in the fridge, reminding me about the sin of overbuying.
And this is what currently happened when I realized that the two containers of the super-healthy Greek yogurt that I bought in bulk in Costco were just too much for me to eat up before it expires.
This is how an idea to make a cake with all this healthy Greek yogurt came to my mind. And since I had quite a lot of yogurt that I had to use up I knew that making something like a quick bread or a cake that calls for only about ½ cup of yogurt won’t be an option.
But… what if I make a pudding cake? Yes! I loved that idea!
A pudding cake that’s really moist, but at the same time since it’s baked, it’s a little crumbly and has that perfect sticky texture that I just love sinking my teeth into! And the thick creamy yogurt that creates this beautiful texture is fat-free and very healthy. Which of course, never hurts when it comes to all sorts of decadent dessert ideas for someone who wants to enjoy more than a tiny slice without feeling guilty about it…
And you know what, guys? Although I’ve never made this cake before, when I finally cut a slice of it and eat it, I just loved-loved-loved everything about it! It’s soft, but not mushy, it’s baked, but it’s not dry at all. It’s sweet, but not overly so. I just so hope you’ll like it too!
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Prepare the pudding: beat the greek yogurt and the pudding mix until incorporated.
- Whip the eggs and the egg whites just a little bit, until they are frothy.
- Mix together the pudding, eggs, oil and vanilla extract. Mix everything thoroughly.
- Whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder. Pour the dry mixture into the wet mixture and stir until everything is incorporated.
- Pour the dough into a 9-inch springform cake pan and bake the cake for 50-60 minutes until it's firm.
- If you like, dust the cake with some powdered sugar before serving it. (It makes it look super-pretty!)
If you do give it a try, please let me know what you think!
Have a great rest of the summer and don’t forget to apply your sunscreen on wherever you go!