…I have long hair. I’ve had long hair all my life…
OK, maybe not my WHOLE life… When I was a kid my parents cut my hair rather short, and now that I am a parent I can totally understand why: I have hard enough time washing my boys’ short hair! I can’t even imagine what struggle the poor parents of the long-haired girls must be going through every time they help them wash those locks…
But as a kid I so wanted to look “like a fairytale princess” 🙂 And a fairytale princess just MUST have long hair! So as soon as I was old enough to be in charge of my own hair (that was when I could wash my own locks), I knew that I’ll be growing my hair to be very, VERY long!
As you can see I am still pretty much set on the long-locks style. And I still love it! But aside from making my childhood dreams come true, now have a few grownup reasons why I will not be getting a short haircut any time soon…
Here’re my reasons why I believe that maintaining long hair is much easier and more convenient than cutting them short!
- When your hair is long enough, having a haircut every couple of weeks (or even every couple of months!) isn’t necessary anymore! Sometimes I go 3-4 months without a haircut and the only reason why I go to a stylist is because I want to make sure that my hair don’t split on its ends, which can make it look brassy. When you have a short haircut, though, it may not look pretty when it grows out and whatever used to frame your face nicely before becomes an unmanageable multi-layered mess. And then you just have to go back and crop it again.
- Another reason related to the reason #1. Because all I need a stylist to do to my hair is cut a few inches off its ends, I don’t have to look for a perfect! All I do is when I have a minute to stop by Fantastic Sams (or any other inexpensive salon), I walk in and see if someone’s available to cut my ends real quick! I wouldn’t be able to do that if I had a customized to my face-shape and my hair-quality haircut that had to be done a certain way or be doomed to look terrible!
- When my hair is nice and clean, that’s all I need to think that it looks OK! It doesn’t need much styling. Seriously! If you’ve been reading my blog you must already know that I can be real LAZY when it comes to spending hours (or even more than a few minutes) in front of the mirror styling, plumping, volumizing and… whatever else needs to be done. (I actually still don’t really know much about all sorts of styling products that people use to make their “dos”) 🙂
- Also once your hair is long enough, it doesn’t really frizz because the weight of the hair pulls it down. The shorter hair’s isn’t heavy enough and so it frizzes. And then you’ll have a problem with taming it!
- Long-hair is Super-Versityle! And it doesn’t take much effort to play around with it! You can just leave it down… You can also try all sorts of half-bun styles, and if you have it in you, all sorts of complicated braiding… Finally, for the second-day hair (or sometimes the 4-th day hair because you really don’t need to wash your longer hair that often; it’s actually better not to) – you can always put your hair in a pony-tail, braid it, or tie it in a bun!
- With all this having been mentioned, you can pretty much see how much I get to save on NOT visiting expensive stylists and NOT buying all those styling products! Not to say how much time I save, too! (And this one gets just as important when you’re a busy mom of two little boys!)
- I washed my hair with a shampoo;
- I then rinsed it with a conditioner;
- I combed it and air-dried it!
I swear to you; that was all! No sprays, curlers, hot irons, mousses, gels, and… what else do people use? 🙂 The whole procedure took about 20 minutes of my time last night. And I wouldn’t spend any more time on it when I was exhausted from the day and still had to prep my kids’ lunches, load the dishes and fold that laundry… So that I’ll maybe have a few minutes for myself.
OK, let me be completely honest… There are a few reasons why sometimes I actually wish that my hair wasn’t that long… (And how I deal with them)
- The heat! Sometimes in the summers I wish that my hair wasn’t that long and heavy! But… There IS a bright side to it! Not only my long hair is pretty versatile when it comes to the hair-dos… It’s also super-versatile when it comes adjusting it to the changes of the weather! Yeah, it sounds silly, but think about it: when it’s warm outside, I simply put my hair up in a bun… But when it gets windy… Or if it cools down at night and I forgot to take my jacket – I’ll just let my hair down… and it warms my shoulders up just like a jacket would! I swear, but it’s a life-saver here, in LA where the temperatures may drop down from 85 to 65 within just a few twilight hours!
- …Washing my long hair takes… LONGER than washing the shorter hair. And combing it may be a real struggle, too. But… On the bright side, after I’m done with the washing and combing, I can just leave it alone and forget about all the styling, etc. … And I’m again back to being a happy owner of my extra-long-hair!
What do you think about this, my friend? Do you have any special tricks to simplify your hair-styling routine? 🙂