Happy National Pumpkin Day, friends! 🙂 (Well… I’m not that smart to had actually know about it! I just found out when I walked into Starbucks and they told me about it! 🙂 To celebrate it I decided to bake this Guiltless, Healthy, Low-Calorie Pumpkin Cornbread and share the recipe for it with you! But first…
How was your mood today? Are you truly-really happy? Or were there a few sad/stressful/joyless moments that you’ve lived through recently? Because I believe that our beauty starts with joy, I decided to share my best stress-management tips! 🙂
A FEW WORDS ABOUT SELF-CARE…
Taking care of yourself, emotionally and physically – is a key to not letting stress destroy the best in you! When your needs are being fulfilled on a daily basis – you’re less likely to get bent by the little stressors! So here’re a few things that I do each day to ensure that my needs are being taken care of (despite the fact that there are many other things and people that I’m taking care of!)
- As an introvert I NEED some me-time when I can be quiet for a few minutes and let myself dream, plan and… breathe! Because I know that it’s vital for me to have this time for myself – I always make sure to schedule it into my day!
- I NEVER skimp on my sleep! Not enough sleeps makes me feel and look sickly! So, unless there’re important matters that need to be taken care of – I’ll always take my sleep over watching more Netflix!
- I believe that us, adults, aren’t too much different from the kids (only we have to push OURSELVES instead of us being pushed by someone else)! That it’s important to reward ourselves just as we reward our kids for having their chores done! My favorite ways to reward myself are to baking a tasty snack, taking myself out for a cup of coffee or buying an affordable, yet cute dress that I love!
- Oh, and talking about that tasty snack… indulging on something that looks and tastes great (yet isn’t too guilt-inducing!) can both destress and comfort my little shattered sole on any stressful day!
This is why I’m sharing with you this…
LOW-CALORIE PUMPKIN CORNBREAD RECIPE!
Well, speaking of the rewards and treats – you may already see that baking is one of my favorite ways to bring some joy into my life (while also sharing it with the family)! This is why I wouldn’t want to just preach joy without sharing an make-you-happy guiltless treat recipe with you today!And here it is! A low-calorie, high-protein, one-bowl, easy, quick to make and super-yummy cornbread recipe that mad me happy to get up to this morning!
So, what do you say? Let’s bake it? 🙂
The Low-Calorie Pumpkin Cornbread is healthy, all-natural, quick and easy to make, and super-yummy! Eat it for breakfast, as a dessert or use to make your favorite Cornbread Stuffing for Thanksgiving!
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup oil
- 6 oz fat-free greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup sugar* see notes
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
Preheat the oven to 375F. Grease a 9” square baking dish with cooking spray.
Whisk together the flours, salt, baking powder and pumpkin spice.
Lightly whip the eggs and egg whites. Add the sugar, pumpkin, yogurt and oil. Mix together. Pour over the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
Spread batter in prepared baking dish and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30-35 minutes.
* If you'll be using the cornbread for stuffing or as a savory bread, you can only use 2-3 tbsp of sugar instead of 1/4 cup.
But if you want your bread to be more of a treat and/or you have a sweet tooth, use about 1/3 cup instead of 1/4!