Hi, Dear Friend,
It’s the Breast Cancer Awareness month… And just a few years ago I didn’t quite understand the importance of raising the awareness about this terrible illness… But I do now because I’ve witnessed my dearest family members suffering from this terrible illness and battling it… (I am not going to describe who that was because they’d rather me not do that and I’ll respect that) But let me tell you this… That battle was DIFFICULT to say the least (but thank Goodness, they won!)
…But recognizing the events of this month has a very personal meaning to me now…
This is why I decided to make and share with you a “pink” recipe…It took some time for me to decide what kind of a pink dessert to make because all of a sudden I found myself overwhelmed by all kinds of ideas of beautiful pink desserts that I can make…
But I had more than a couple of bags of my favorite freeze-dried strawberries sitting on the shelf (I always buy them in bulk and keep them in the house for the healthy snacking and for my recipes 🙂 ). Plus I knew that I’ve had my favorite meringue cookies on another shelf for quite awhile too (I forgot all about them with all the baking that I’ve been doing lately 🙂 )…With this in mind I knew exactly what to make: The Healthy Protein Bites!
…Oh, I can’t wait to share my most favorite Protein Bites recipe with you! Why? Because these Protein Bites aren’t your usual Protein bites! They are MY KIND of Protein bites based on my very own unique idea (:) I know, I’m bragging here 🙂 ) to make these high-protein sweet treats WITHOUT using any protein powder that most protein bites recipes call for!
…Because no matter how many times the protein powders are being praised, in my mind these powders aren’t that very natural… And it’s just my opinion; you can correct me if you think that I’m wrong… But I honestly think that consuming the WHOLE foods is just so much better!But what could possibly substitute a protein powder in a no-bake protein bites recipe?
The healthy, non-fat, all-natural egg whites, of course!!!But, wait! The bites are no-bake, right? But no one said that all the ingredients have to be raw, right? So why not use the “baked” egg whites, then? Or, in other words, the crushed into the fine powder MERINGUE cookies!
And although the store-bought meringue cookies have a decent amount of sugar in them (because I usually use the store-bought meringues since the whole idea of making a no-bake dessert to me is all about making it in no-time)… Combined with the other sugar-free (like the coconut flour or the unsweetened desiccated coconut) or the naturally sweet ingredients (like the freeze-dried strawberries), the crushed meringue cookies make a perfect, high protein, and non-fat base for my all-natural high-protein little treats! (Also if you’d like, you can use the sugar-free meringue cookies, but I honestly don’t think that the tiny amount of sugar that the regular meringue cookies add to the whole mixture could be that bad…)Please let me know what you think of them when you have a chance, my sweet friend!
…And most importantly, my friend… Take GOOD care of yourself! Eat healthy, all-natural, whole foods. Exercise. Don’t bake your skin in the sun. Don’t smoke… Your body deserves it!!! YOU deserve it!
And… STAY HEALTHY, my friend!
- 1 1/2 oz meringue cookies (6 medium cookies)
- 1/2 cup non-fat plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut optional - additional 2-3 more tbsp. for rolling and decoration
- 1/2 oz ground freeze-dried strawberries optional - additional 2-3 more tbsp. for rolling and decoration
- Put all the freeze-dry strawberries (the 1/2 oz that you need for the bites and the 2-3 additional tbsp if you decide to roll the bites in more strawberries in a blender and grind them into a fine flour.
- Take the 2 tbsp of ground strawberries out and reserve them for the rolling. Add the meringue cookies in a blender and blend on high speed until the mixture turns into a powder.
- Put the meringue powder, the 1/2 oz ground freeze-dry strawberries, the coconut flour and the 1/4 cup desiccated coconut in a bowl and whisk until the ingredients are incorporated.
- Add the Greek yogurt and stir until the all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Roll the dough into a log (I find this method of making my bite-size treats to be the easiest!). Cut the dough into 12 equal in size pieces and roll each piece into a ball.
- If desired roll your protein bites in the reserved mixture of desiccated coconut and ground strawberries.
Note: keep your Healthy Protein Bites in the fridge, because don't forget, they are made with Greek yogurt!