Hi, dear friend!
Happy Thanksgiving! It’s here! And we’re all ready to indulge and have fun… Right? 🙂
But what’s the Big Question of the Day? It’s related to that “INDULGING” part… And if you’re anything like me (i.e. unwilling to get those “fat pants” ready) then you know what question I’m referring to here… Will I gain a ton of unwanted pounds over this Holiday Season? 🙂
But… there is NO WAY in the world I’ll be telling you not to indulge today! INDULGE, my friend! But… how about a few handy tips on how to indulge WITHOUT having to regret it later? Because like I said in my Healthy Holiday Series Part 1 (where you can also find my Healthy Under 50 Calories Dessert Recipes Roundup), there is salvation for us, weak human beings! 🙂 And this salvation are the tools that we can use to defy the odds and “Have our cakes AND eat them” at the same time! …Leterally and figuratively speaking 🙂
The Super-Handy Tools for the Healthy, Guiltless, Indulgent and Fun Celebration!
- I wrote about this tool in my Healthy Holidays Part 1 post. It’s my general staying-in shape tool, but I’ll mention it here as well. DRINK! Drink a lot! And now you already know that I’m not talking about the liquor here, right? Drink those zero-calorie healthy drinks of your choice! Water, Seltzer, Iced Tea, Hot Tea, some Black Coffee if you like (just don’t go overboard with the latter one, or take a decaf instead)… Not only this will help you stop yourself from overeating… Drinking lots of liquid will also help you flush whatever not-so-healthy indulgences you may want to indulge on today!
- Eat… But only the things that look AND taste super-, out of this world good! And here’s what I usually do: I always taste everything that looks good. I mean… why would I even try something that I know I’m not going to like? But at first I always try a little bit of each good-looking dish. Then comes the tasting test. I can tell right away when something tastes SO GREAT that a bigger serving of it will make me very happy! That’s when I go for my second (and final) round of helpings. This time I only go for the things that I really loved!
- This one is related to the Tool #2. Not only I skip the things that don’t look super-good to me… I also skip the things that could be bought in my local supermarket on any other day! I mean… Do I really need to have that piece of pie from Ralph’s today? I can always go and buy it tomorrow if I want it that bad!
- Veggies are your friends! If you see anything that you like and that’s also healthy and low-calorie – go for another helping of it! And I’m sure that on that Thanksgiving table there’ll be plenty healthy, super-yummy veggie dishes! Mmmm… I can’t wait to have my favorite roasted vegetables today!
- Not sure if there’re going to be any healthy options on that table? Well… if you’re hosting that dinner I’m sure that there’ll be plenty! (I will be sharing my baked butternut squash recipe with you one of these days, I promise! Whenever I make it, I just can’t stop eating it, it’s so good!:) ) But if you’re invited to go somewhere – bring that healthy dish with you! (I always do, even if the hosts insist on “doing everything themselves”! They’ll thank you for it, I promise!
- There IS a reason why the LEFTOVER GIVING AWAY TRADITION exists! Take advantage over it, my friend! If you loved that casserole (pie/cookies/turkey/…you name it) SO BAD – ask the hostess for some leftovers to go! I’m sure she’ll be happy to share some with you, now that everyone is happy and fed… And you’ll be happy, too, knowing that you didn’t go overboard today because you can always indulge on your favorite dishes tomorrow!
Happy and Healthy Thanksgiving, my friends!